Growth in Certain DepartmentsWhile some skills, tasks or even job roles can be fully automated, others are becoming highly in demand, especially those that require social, creative and digital savviness. Many organizations were forced to abruptly shift to online services, leading to a skill gap that had not been previously present. In order to assess which departments should have more headcount, organizations should consider the following:
- A deeper need for innovation in certain areas to enhance competitive advantage
- New tasks that require a subject matter expert with the right technical skills
- An increase in the speed of certain processes that could lead to bottlenecks at particular points
Re-orienting Particular RolesRe-orienting specific roles in the organization involves positioning certain profiles toward future-proof skills and current market megatrends. This should be considered when:
- The skills needed for the role are distinctive to the organization and its competitive advantage
- Tasks require human intervention and cannot be digitized
- Designing or redesigning workshops based on new skill requirements
- Providing webinars on relevant topics in light of current events
- Re-directing our human capital services based on present market transformations
Upskilling and Adding New Elements to Existing RolesKey roles in the organization can never be eliminated, yet they can be re-shuffled and enhanced to meet the evolving organizational requirements. This is usually witnessed when:
- The scope of work is broadened due to digitization
- Some, but not all tasks have become automated
- The employee already has some core skills needed to fill this role
- Equipping our learning and development team with the technical skills needed to shift certain workshops online or implement blended learning techniques.
- Training our operations department on a new software that facilitates workflow and enhances efficiency.
- Utilizing the expertise of our human capital consultants to produce advisory content for our blog posts and social media platforms.
Re-deployment of Existing RolesRe-deployment of existing roles should take place when there is a gap in certain departments that can be met by employees who can be re-skilled to match the requirements. This shift can be done in these situations:
- Digitization is impacting a big segment of the employees
- New talent gaps can be met by employees internally